Product Engineer (or Designer), Electrical and Hydraulic
Operating Company: Environmental Solutions Group - Marathon Equipment
Location: Vernon, AL
Reports to: Manager of Sustaining Engineering Electrical and Hydraulic
Design electrical/hydraulic systems for waste handling, recycling, and waste-to-energy equipment and systems. Perform sustaining activities to maintain and improve existing designs. Perform development activities to design new equipment and systems. Work with suppliers to make electrical/hydraulic system component selections. Develop and maintain programs for electrical system controllers. Assist service and production with electrical/hydraulic system diagnostics. Rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform job functions, and is expected to work with minimal direction.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Design and detail electrical/hydraulic circuits and select components to meet customer expectations.
- Develop and maintain PLC programs.
- Create shop design packages that include bills of material, part drawings, assembly drawings, and electrical/hydraulic schematics required for production.
- Upgrade existing designs to meet current requirements, improving reliability, and reduce cost.
- Cascade system level customer requirements to electrical specifications and requirements.
- Coordinate and conduct design verification testing at component, subsystem, and system level.
- Assist in the development of project plans, timelines, deliverables, and quality plans.
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external customers, distributors, and salespersons.
- Review product service manuals and product specifications to ensure accuracy, as necessary.
- Minimum requirement of Associates Degree in an Electrical or Hydraulic related field of study. Prefer Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or related degree.
- Prefer two years of experience using Pro-E, SolidWorks, or another 3D CAD system. A minimum experience of 8 years is needed with an Associates Degree.
- PLC software knowledge – Siemens, Allen Bradley, Zelio, and Proface.
- Programming skill sets are: Ladder logic, operator interface, and function block. Ability to create, trouble shoot, and update PLC and operator interface programs. All functions of PLC and networking.
- Electrical system knowledge: Must have thorough knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70), NFPA 79 (Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery), and UL 508A (Standard for Industrial Control Panels). Must understand and be able to properly apply all electrical devices and industrial machine control components.
- Electrical system abilities: Must be able to create schematics for motor control systems and create panel box layout, conduit installation layout, and motor control system design. Candidate must be able to calculate wire size, conduit size, feeder, and branch circuit protection.
- Hydraulic system knowledge: Components of the hydraulic system, including the devices that actuate, discharge, and control the flow of hydraulic fluid and those devices which sense, control, and limit hydraulic pressure.
- Hydraulic system abilities: Calculate cylinder cycle times, hydraulic forces, and required piping/hose size.
- Experience developing conceptual designs and budgetary quotes.
- The candidate should be able to exhibit strong problem solving skills such as: 6-Sigma, 8D, A3, 5 Why, PDCA, etc. to solve complex problems.
- The candidate must have strong leadership skills and be results oriented. This person must be a strong communicator that is creative yet believes in a structured approach to solving problems and meeting goals.
- The candidate must be a self-starter, work at a fast pace, and yet still be highly detailed and accurate. They must show project management capabilities such as being goal oriented while being able to identify high priority, critical path tasks.
Builds and Manages Collaborative Relationships
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ethics and Work Standards: Maintain the highest ethical and work standards, while promoting the same attributes in co-workers and others. Ensure that all business activities – with both internal and external customers – to be performed with a professional demeanor and that all participants be held accountable to this high standard.
Communication: Expresses thoughts clearly, both orally and in writing, using good grammar. Presents concise, well organized reports in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Listens to understand input, feedback and concerns. Provides complete information in an open, honest and straightforward manner. Responds promptly and positively to questions and requests.
Teamwork and Relationships: Works with other employees willingly and in a spirit of cooperation and teamwork. Supports cooperation. Demonstrates a commitment to the entire business and is supportive of all initiatives (company and departmental) to help grow Environmental Solutions Group business in the United States and abroad. Cooperates fully with others to achieve organizational goals. Is tactful, courteous, and considerate. Embraces a positive outlook. Is respected and trusted by others.
Continual Improvement and Problem Resolution: Identifies and communicates suggestions for work improvements. Uses technical and analytical abilities to assure existing work practices are the most efficient and cost effective possible. Performs root-cause analysis and implements viable, permanent solutions to problems. Works with both internal and external customers to develop solutions which meet company-wide needs and objectives. Applies a sense of urgency to resolve problems or creates opportunities that will increase productivity and create value. Shares best practices with other employees across the business.
Accountability: Accepts responsibility and accessibility for both the strategic planning and the successful implementation of all projects, programs, and duties as outlined in this job description. Advises supervisor of concerns, problems and progress of work in a timely manner.